Call For Discovery Chalenge
Joint call for tutorials and workshops ECML/PKDD 2011 www.ecmlpkdd2011.org
The organizing committee of ECML-PKDD 2011 invites the submission of proposals for the tasks and datasets to be used in ECML-PKDD Discovery Challenge 2011. The Discovery Challenge provides a venue for the collaborative exploration and evaluation of novel and interesting tasks in the areas of Machine Learning and Knowledge Discovery.
The outcome of the Discovery Challenge will be presented in a dedicated workshop on the first or the last day of the conference, where the winning and other selected participations will be presented.
Submitted proposals should be self-contained and should include at least the following information:
- Title and abstract of the proposed challenge.
- Contact information of organizer(s).
- General description of the proposed challenge.
- Description of the dataset used in the proposed challenge.
- Description of at least two tasks in which the Discovery Challenge participants will compete.
- Description of the evaluation procedure and metrics.
- Short biography of organizers, mentioning relevant experience.
The submitted proposals should also consider the following points:
- The dataset should be publicly available to facilitate future use and repeatability of experiments.
- The dataset should be sufficiently large.
- The tasks should address novel and interesting research problems, without requiring too much domain-specific knowledge from participants.
- The evaluation procedure should be described clearly and should be easy to apply.
We encourage organizers to seek awards and prizes for the wining participants in order to attract participation. The acceptance of a proposed Discovery Challenge, however, does not depend on the provision of an award or prize.
The following deadlines are important for the workshop/tutorial organizers:
- March 21, 2011: Discovery Challenge proposal deadline
- March 28, 2011: Notification of acceptance
- April 11, 2011: Discovery Challenge announcement: Description of tasks, dataset and metrics become available
- July 10, 2011: Submission of Discovery Challenge results and reports in appropriate format
- July 21, 2011: Notification of acceptance
- July 28, 2011: Submission of Camera Ready Copy for selected submissions
- Sep 5, 2011: Discovery Challenge workshop at ECML-PKDD2011
Submission of Proposals
Discovery Challenge proposals should be submitted in PDF form by email to both Discovery Challenge chairs. All submissions will be acknowledged by email.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are looking forward to your proposals.
- Alexandros Kalousis (Alexandros.Kalousis-at-unige.ch), University of Geneva
- Vassilis Plachouras (vplachouras-at-aueb.gr), Athens Univ. of Economics and Business
For more information, please check the ECML/PKDD webpage www.ecmlpkdd2011.org